What is our Foundation Degree?
Our Foundation Degree is an opportunity to gain an accredited qualification in Audiology while being employed. You will earn as you learn and obtain a qualification without the usual fees associated to a University Course.
The course is an 18 month work based degree programme run in conjunction with and accredited by Aston University. It runs from September to January, with graduation the following summer. This course automatically entitles you to register with the HCPC, the UK’s governing body which allows you to practice as a as a Hearing Aid Dispenser.
The majority of the programme is on the job learning with one week allocated each month to attend a placement. This is comprised of time at Aston University and the Boots Hearingcare Audiology Training Academy in Birmingham.
Firstly we will train you to become a Hearing Care Assistant to give you a basic grounding in Audiology and enable you to work in a supporting role to an audiologist.
You will then begin the Foundation Degree. Your training will be a combination of home study, shadowing with mentors and supervisors culminating in you running your own appointment diaries in clinic.
Upon successful completion of the degree course, you will be automatically enrolled onto our 3 year Graduate Programme which will support your ongoing professional development within Boots Hearingcare.
Expectations during your degree
- The foundation degree is part of a full time role in Boots Hearingcare, with the expectation that there may be extra study required outside of these times, 1-2 hours per night with some extra at weekends. Store days would also include some weekend working outside of University term time.
- It is an 18 month long course.
- You will be able to use some working time for study time, but the expectation is that you will also be required to study outside of these hours to achieve your degree. We recommend holiday times that tie in with University.
- Our expectation would be that you complete 100% attendance at University and maintain your learning schedule and pass all clinical audits.
Support while you study
You will have support throughout your study; this includes your Line Manager, the Student Support Team at Aston University and the Audiology Learning and Development Team within Boots Hearingcare.
Expectations once qualified
- Once you qualify you will be allocated your own clinic within a Boots Hearingcare Store and it may be necessary for you to relocate.
- We ask that you stay with the company for two years following your qualification. As we would have trained you, paid your university fees and your salary while you study, we feel this is fair. Should you choose to leave before that time, you will need to reimburse these costs on a sliding scale.
What are the benefits to you?
- Our mission is that no one should live with untreated hearing loss and as a Hearing Aid Audiologist you will be responsible for restoring people’s worlds. It really is one of the most rewarding jobs in the world.
- Audiology is a profession in huge demand with the pay, benefits and progression you would expect from being a professional clinician. Once qualified you will be at the beginning of a life changing and hugely rewarding career.
- Post qualification, our Graduate Training programme will reward you with increased grade and pay year on year until you reach an established and experienced professional grade.
- You will work for a leading provider of hearing care within the UK, a respected brand with some of the best professional standards in the industry.
- Salary of £16,500 plus Car allowance and after 6 months probation, access to Boots Hearingcare company benefits including the Boots staff discount card.
- On Target Earnings in year 1 post qualification of £29,429 plus benefits.
How do apply?
Send an email to email@example.com and we will let you know when our next selection days will be held.
What do we look for when selecting people for our Foundation Degree?
- A strong background in customer services, ideally within healthcare. For example experience as a Hearing Care Advisor, Branch Co-ordinator, Optical Assistant, Pharmacy Assistant, Health Care Assistant or similar.
- A good grounding in English, Maths and Science and the ability to study.
- A customer centric approach and genuine care for people.
- Able to attend one of our assessment days
- If you don’t have a customer service or healthcare background we are open to Graduates with science related degrees which do not already enable them to practice in audiology